Skip to main content

Is there relief for recovered property in custody dispute?

Woodland Hills, CA |

daughter's father destroys every item our child takes with her on visits. He says his child support should cover the expense. This is not fair or cool. Our child , 1 yr old, doesn't want to take toys now. Is there a way to get him to replace items he has destroyed? One of items were a camera battery I use for work that was accidentally placed in diaper bag. Most of the items are items passed through family. cant find ANYWHERE. Last item, i didn't know she even took until they were out of the door and i noticed i didn't have it in my hand.
Would not this be a form of harassment as well? I have a tro that keeps getting extended every 21 days. Item situation got worse since TRO. Verbal abuse stopped though. Can I present item destruction as form of harassment when we go back?

Attorney Answers 2


No, just do not give her toys, he is childish. Let him supply toys for her.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Unless these are some expensive toys, it is probably not worth it to take this matter to court. I agree with Mr. Cohen, just do not give her toys to take to the father. Sometimes a practical solution is just as good as a legal solution.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics