Is there recourse for hostile/threatening work environment?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

After numerous episodes of hostile/threatening behavior towards me, the corporate HR/CEO/regional manager ,as well as the local management, were informed about work environment. They have failed to address the issue after several promises to do so. I am under enormous stress because I fear for my nursing license which they recently threatened to attack. After the latest harassment, I submitted my resignation. Do I have any legal recourse, besides leaving my place of employment?

1. Ryan Alexander

Pro

2

Answered . It mostly depends on the nature of the "harassment" - are we talking about racial comments, sexual harassment (invitations, propositions, touching, etc.), or just being mean and rude?

Harassment based on gender, national origin, race, etc. might have a claim... but just being mean or insulting usually does not.

Clark County, Nevada practitioner.
  2. Malik W. Ahmad

1

Answered . Remember, if you quit, you may not be entitled to unemployment insurance. You need to document everything, and get your HR involved in every matter. Collect witnesses, and possibly get their statements. Who is hostile to you? The fellow employees, management? You have not narrated any one so far. What exactly are their hostility, race, religion, nationality, ethnicity, national origin. If this is just a personality conflict, then it can be worked out with the managment. Also, see if you can be transferred. Once you quit, you may have very little chance to prove anything. You stated that you have a nursing license. No one can take away your nursing license short of a disciplinary action against you and for which you need notice and hearing. Only Nursing Board can do something against your license and not your employer or fellow employees. Again, since you have so many issues, I suggest see a licensed attorney in this regard.

3. Christian James Gabroy

Pro

Answered . As stated by other counsel herein, it largely depends on the nature and the severity of the harassment. Who is doing it? What is being said? You also stated that there was threatening behavior, what kind of threatening behavior? Were you ever touched without your consent? I suggest you contact counsel immediately to discuss if you have potential claims.

4. David B Pittman

Pro

Answered . Hard to give concise answer with knowing the specifics of the harassment. I suggest consulting an employment lawyer in your area and get the answers from them. Good luck!