Is there recourse for being black-balled by a former employer or a potential employer recinding job offer in Illinois?

Asked over 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

In the healthcare industry references are critical. Job offers are either not repsonded to or recinded after the new employers contact my last employer from which I was "let go" on trumped up charges. I fought and lost for unemployment benefits-they say I did not follow procedure which they could not prove. I turned down a rehire offer with them due to the new location's dire inconvenience AND a better and more convenient job offer elsewhere. Now, new job offers get no return call and the last was recinded (after hours of work agreement and a physical). Three others have been refused benefits for same reason by old job. I think this is how they get around paying benefits. I'm being black-balled by old employer and shafted by new prospects..help/advise, please.

1. John T. Moran Jr.

Answered . While nothing I say here should be read as constituting legal advice, I can tell you that you need evidence that a court would consider that your former employer is either "blackballing you" (defaming you) or otherwise intentionally interfering with your ability to work in similar positions in the same general area. As an attorney, one problem I have with your question is your statement that you were refused unemployment benefits. There is only one basis in Illinois for refusal and that is misconduct. The fact that you say that the issue was a "failure to follow procedure" and was "trumped up" does not give me any information. What could be significant is the offer of "rehire." Was that after they fought unemployment?