Is there is a time limit in the state of Illinois to sue someone for an injury that occurred on their property?

Mount Vernon, IL |

I had fallen on someone elses property and broke my wrist

1. I would certainly check with a local PI attorney regarding your claims, to assess ALL aspects of your case and your options, but I believe that the S/O/L in Illinois is 2 years.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. The 'time limit' you refer to is called a statute of limitations. Its highly advisable that you check with an experienced Illinois-based personal injury attorney, (I am not licensed in Ohio) but it appears (based on some quick Googling) that the statute of limitations in Illinois is two years from the date of the injury.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.

3. Generally, the statute of limitation for personal injury in Illinois is two years from the date of the injury. I hope this helps-

The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship

4. As the other attorneys have answered, the statute of limitations for an injury from a fall on someone else's property is two years, UNLESS, you fell on public property, in which case the statute of limitations is one year. There are other important issues that you need to consider. The law in Illinois protects landowners in many situations. The landowner is not necessarily liable for just because you fell on his property. You really need to talk to a local personal injury attorney and go through the particulars of how you fell, where you fell and what made you fall.

Steve Sigmond
    Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
    345 N. Canal #1208
    Chicago, IL 60606
    (312) 756-1186
    steve@siglaw.com

5. If you fell on property owned by a Municipal Corporation, the Statute of Limitations in Illinois is one year. Additional quirks apply. If you fell on private property, it's two years unless you are a minor at the time of your fall in which case you have until your 20th birthday at the close of business within which to file suit.

One way or another, get a lawyer. It's too easy to trip up.

Donald Nathan
    630-758-1500
    www.donaldnathanlaw.com