Is there is a consumer protection letter that I can mail in Rhode Island or should I just bring a small claims action?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cumberland, RI

I am a Rhode Island resident and I used a contractor from RI to perform work at my house. He did significant damage to my property. What I find to be most disturbing is that he collects money in advance and when I fired him, he has refused to return my over payment for the 2 weeks that he did not perform. According to him, his company's policy is only to provide a credit for his company to perform future work instead of providing a refund. I have had 2 other contractors in to check his work and they have confirmed that the contractor was clueless. I have told him that I think his "company policy" equals unjust enrichment and since there was no written contract, his unwritten contract is deceitful . Is there a letter in Rhode Island that is the same as a 93A letter in Massachusetts?

1. Lee Golini

Answered . I believe that you can find a .pdf for the letter on the ri.gov website.