Is there HIPPA Laws of Confidentiality for Ministers what do you do when they have violated personal information and medical ?

I was speaking to my Minister and he has violated very personal information I told him and stressed that it was Confidential and I do not want anyone including other Ministers to know. He is also an attorney prior so I thought he would really keep my things confidential. He told all the Ministers on staff and now he does not want me to go to any classes, cannot volunteer in anything and cannot sing in choir or take music classes or anything.He also intercepts calls/talks. He is also telling me that he does not believe that their church can handle someone who has Bipolar and is compliant with medicine. Is discrimination allowed in a church? What can I do? This passes from 1 church to another with Ministers. Help. I've been blackballed....what are my rights and what type of atty to go to

Buffalo, NY -

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

Criminal Defense Attorney - Buffalo, NY

This is not a HIPPA violation and unless you were in a confessional it is not a privileged conversation. If he was not your lawyer it was not a client privilege, it was just you talking to a minister and him not wanting you to be a member since you have mental problems and he thinks you might harm someone. Why would you want to be a member of a congregation if they discriminate? Why not find another church or organization to belong to?

Gaetano Parrinello

Gaetano Parrinello

Personal Injury Lawyer - Staten Island, NY

Unfortunately, there is no HIPAA for ministers.

David B Pittman

David B Pittman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

I don't really see a legal case here. It doesn't sound like there was an expectation of confidentiality on the minister. If you are not welcome there, find a new church

Related Advice