Is there expectation of privacy at the front desk in a medical office?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tampa, FL

I own a medical office in Florida. I would like to put cameras without sound recording in the waiting area, hallway and at front desk for security reasons. My understanding is that there is no expectation of privacy in the waiting area and hallway, but what about front desk? I have 3 people working there, and there is a typical sliding window that opens into the waiting area.
Thank you

1. Paul Edward Bross

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Your desire to put up cameras in your office in the areas you have stated are completely approproate and lawful in my opinion.

2. Megan Emily Green

Answered . You always want to get an answer from an attorney in your state but based upon your facts your proposed action seems to be logical and legal. This is analysis and not legal advice.

3. Charles Harry Gardner

Answered . There certainly are practical reasons to want to have such a camera for protection. Different states have different laws about "recording" others. I imagine that whether or not the camera will be open and visible to those being recorded (or whether there is a prominent and posted notice) will play a big part in the analysis. Typically, relevant laws address hidden cameras and sound recording without consent. I am not licensed to practice law in Florida. I would seek counsel from a Florida attorney to ensure that, your intended use is permissible under Florida law and I would also seek counsel to ensure that the use of the camera at the front desk does not violate HIPAA regulations as to patient privacy.