Is there bail available for immigrants in detention?

We have a family friend who we recently found out is here illegally. He's a great guy, and we're wondering if bail is possible.

Hobbs, NM -

Stephen D Aarons

Stephen D Aarons

Criminal Defense Attorney - Santa Fe, NM

It all depends upon why he is in jail and whether there is an immigration hold by ICE. With an ICE hold he is held without bond until his immigration hearing, probably in El Paso, Texas. If he is in jail on another matter and ICE has not put a detainer on him for wrongful entry in the US, then you should post bond as quickly as possible before ICE finds out.

The jail should be able to tell you what is holding him and how much the bond is.

Robert West

Robert West

Immigration Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

If he is not subject to mandatory detention, bond is available most of the time.

Neil Ian Fleischer

Neil Ian Fleischer

Immigration Attorney - Cincinnati, OH

I agree with both attorneys
Bond is available unless he is subject to mandatory detention. An attorney could figure if mandatory detention is the case

Wolf W Kaufmann

Wolf W Kaufmann

Immigration Attorney - Anaheim, CA

It is called bond and it is often available, but not in all cases. You should talk to an immigration attorney.

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney
www.wolfklaw.com
951-710-3250

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.

Related Advice