Is there anyway to have an easement removed if the easement holder has another driveway that doesn't cross my property?

Asked over 2 years ago - Boulder, CO

I granted a perpetual easement to the previous owner of a house next to mine because he was unable to sell it to the current owner unless I put it in writing. I did that to help out my previous neighbor, but the new neighbor is now harassing me, saying I trespass on his easement and he complains about the way I park my car. Now he is trying to sue me. He has another driveway that does not cross my property at all and thus he actually never needs to drive across my property to access his. It seems from what I've read online that removing an easement is not an easy process. But now he's interfering with my ability to park my car in front of my house. I will hire a lawyer if there's a good chance to get the easement removed, or perhaps limit the amount of space he has on my property.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . We would need to look at the easement paperwork at a free office consultation. The positive thing is that the other property owner is not landlocked and you probably did not get any money or other benefit for granting the easement. I ran into a huge amount of these issues when I was a judge in Cortez and there are a number of issues a real estate attorney needs to address.

Related Topics

Easements and land use law

An easement is a right to enter or use someone else's property for a specific reason. It remains in force even if the property is sold and is also transferable.

Raymond Richard Michalski

Know Your Boundaries

Now that the residential real estate market is showing some signs of recovery, it's a good time to review some tips about buying and selling a home. Usually, home sales involve important... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,240 answers this week

3,382 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,240 answers this week

3,382 attorneys answering