Is there anyway to avoid paying 4 separate filing fees when changing the last name of a family of 4?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

My husband and I want to legally change our last name (and that of our two children) simply because we have a terrible last name. The district clerk's filing fee in Hays County is around $250 per person. When multiplied by four, that is really expensive. Is there anyway to do a joint petition? Or any other way of doing it that would reduce the filing fees? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!!

1. Daniel O'Brien

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I can't say that I have ever run into that situation. However, you have the right idea. If you file a single action, the worst thing that would happen is the clerk would tell you that you need additional funds. If you don't pay, you don't move forward. You can also call and ask the clerk. They won't give you legal advice, but their job is to determine and collect the filing fee. You might as well ask.

2. Carmine John Giardino

1

1

Answered . If indigent, court may be able to waive the fee. Section 45.001 of the Texas Family Code is what you should read regarding changing the names of children and adults. I believe that you can file it under one petition. I can't see any reasoning behind doing 4 separate petitions.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

1

Answered . Depending on your income, you could apply for a fee waiver, but that is up to the court to grant or deny it.