Is there anyway i can surrender my military benefits such as my GI BIll and separation pay and volunteer to get discharged. USMC

Asked 7 months ago - La Crosse, WI

I have not yet started MOS school and I recently have gotten engaged and would like to be home to live with my future wife. I have a job back home secured and it doesn't matter how i leave the Marines. I would be alright if i didn't have any of the benefits, I just want to get back to my life back home

1. William Emil Cassara

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . My response would have been similar to Mr. Green's but after reading your comment to his response, I am glad you have decided to stay the course. Besides the financial benefits, the long term benefits (even if you only do a four year hitch) are substantial.

2. Drew Norman Early

2

Answered . Concur w/ Mr. Cassara and Mr. Green. Aside from the benefits, the intangibles that are a part of military service (to include an honorable discharge) will have significant meaning for you for the rest of your life. and will differentiate you from those who haven't served.

3. Kelvin P. Green

1

Answered . You need to seriously consider the implications of what you are talking about when you say it does not matter how you leave the Marines. If you end up with a less than honorable discharge you will have difficulties your entire life. You may need to talk with your chain of command about a Entry level Separation but you need to tread lightly.

As a personal note from a career officer... I guess you are not one if the few, the proud and have not learned much about honor yet.