Is there anyway I can get this fixed faster and if not can I leave to go home in Canada and come back for the court date?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Beverly Hills, CA

I am from Canada and got a citation in the US for unlicensed driver (misdemeanor, which i will fight because my license is valid) and unsafe backing (which i plan to plead guilty). I've been in California for 3 months for an unpaid internship and my license is valid because I am a visitor (VC 12502) and am not a resident (VC 12505). I had a court date yesterday (Apr 29/2013) but when I got there it wasn't in the system and after a long time they finally told me that I was sent a letter (which I never got) saying I don't have to appear until June 18th. Is there anyway I can get this fixed before that and if not can I go home to Canada and come back for the date? Thanks!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Unfortunately, you will not be able to expedite the hearing date. Yes, you can to to Canada and come back for the hearing date. Otherwise you can hire a private attorney to appear on your behalf and stay in Canada. Attorney's can appear in court under Penal Code 977(a) and the defendant does not have to be present.
    If you would like us to appear 977(a) on your behalf please contact the office. Reasonable rates and payment plans.

    The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this website should be taken... more

Related Topics

Traffic tickets

A traffic ticket is issued for moving or non-moving vehicle violations. Potential consequences include fines, license penalties, traffic school, or jail.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Careless Driving

39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty... more

Fix-it tickets

A fix-it ticket, typically including a fine, is given when law enforcement notes damage that makes a vehicle unsafe to operate, such as a cracked windshield.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,049 answers this week

3,675 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,049 answers this week

3,675 attorneys answering