Is there anyway I can get my sister and her children out of my house?

Asked over 1 year ago - Halethorpe, MD

She has been here for about a year and a half. When she came in mid-2012 she said that if she was not gone by October 2012 that I could throw her out. When I asked her to leave she threatened legal action against me because she uses my address as her own. She has never paid any rent, she buys food with her food stamps but when her food is gone she looks for me to feed her and her children.
She stays out at night without letting me know she's not coming home. Her children are literally tearing my house apart. All my utility bills have almost doubled since she's been here but she doesn't think that their being here has anything to do with it.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. David Raymond Mahood


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Reminds me of the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." How is it that your sister is so clueless? Does she have a history of taking advantage of other people? Or is this totally new behavior? In any event, if your sister's name is not on the lease or rental agreement, then you are going to have to go through the formal process of having her evicted. You start the process by giving your sister written notice that you are evicting her. If her name is on the rental agreement, then you cannot evict her, and you will have to move out to get her out of your living quarters.

    Or perhaps you can talk with your landlord and ask your landlord to evict your sister because there are too many people living there. Perhaps the rental agreement does not permit anyone else to live there without the landlord's permission. This will probably destroy your relationship between you and your sister, but at this point, you are likely beyond worrying about it.

    I am going to add a tag of landlord/tenant law because that is really what this case is about. This will put your query out to attorneys who handle this area of law on a regular basis. I do not handle landlord/tenant law, although I do know some things about it.

    Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/... more
  2. Richard D. Lebovitz


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not sure from your question whether you own the house or is you are renting the home. If you own the home then give your sister a notice to quit letter giving her 30 days to move out. The you seek possession and file complaint for tenant holding over. If you rent then your landlord must do the above and he has authority to evict her or potentially evict you too. Please call my office to discuss your options.

  3. Charles J. Ware


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You must file an eviction action in the local District Court of Maryland. Good luck.

Related Topics

Eviction from rental property

Before a landlord can start eviction proceedings, he or she must follow specific rules (that vary by state) for giving a termination notice to the tenant.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,110 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,110 answers this week

3,198 attorneys answering