Is there anyway I can get my DUI expunged in Georgia?

Asked 12 months ago - Atlanta, GA

It is my first offense and I plead guilty to the DUI. Is there anyway I can get it expunged in Georgia? I have heard many things such as I can and others saying that I cannot. I know I can receive a pardon in 5 years.. Please, mainly people who know Georgia law answer. Thank you!

1. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

12

1

Answered . No, under Georgia law, a DUI conviction cannot be expunged.

2. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

10

Answered . The simple answer is no.

3. Kevin Aaron Chastine

Pro

10

Answered . I agree with the other posters; it's not possible. I just wanted to point out that a pardon, even if you can get it, won't expunge or erase the DUI from your record. It just attaches a statement from the State of GA saying that they've pardoned the crime.

4. Brett Ladd

Pro

6

Answered . No. Unless the law is changed someday, and that is unlikely.

5. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . No. You cannot expunge the arrest if you plead guilty to the charge.

6. John Arnold Steakley

5

Answered . Only by pardon. I can't imagine that a sitting Governor would pardon a DUI who pled guilty, but feel free to try.

7. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

6

Answered . No

8. Billy Tomlinson

4

Answered . No, there is no legal mechanism in Georgia for expunging a conviction for a DUI.

9. J. Guy Sharpe Jr.

2

Answered . Unfortunately, once you have a DUI conviction on your record, it can not be expunged unless you can get the prosecutor and judge to agree to reverse the conviction and enter a guilty plea to another lesser charge.

10. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

Answered . Short answer is - NO. Unless the law in Georgia is changed, you cannot expunge a DUI CONVICTION. If you do receive a Pardon for the crime that still should not remove the original crime from your Georgia Criminal History. The best way to keep a DUI off of your criminal history is to FIGHT the case from the very beginning! Retain the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you and Fight the charge! As you are finding out, once you are convicted the DUI will remain on your criminal history for the rest of your life. I know this isn't the answer that you were looking for, but I believe it is accurate under the current Georgia law.
    George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com