Is there anyway I can get my DUI expunged in Georgia?

Atlanta, GA |

It is my first offense and I plead guilty to the DUI. Is there anyway I can get it expunged in Georgia? I have heard many things such as I can and others saying that I cannot. I know I can receive a pardon in 5 years.. Please, mainly people who know Georgia law answer. Thank you!

1. No, under Georgia law, a DUI conviction cannot be expunged.

2. I agree with the other posters; it's not possible. I just wanted to point out that a pardon, even if you can get it, won't expunge or erase the DUI from your record. It just attaches a statement from the State of GA saying that they've pardoned the crime.

3. No. Unless the law is changed someday, and that is unlikely.

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

4. No. You cannot expunge the arrest if you plead guilty to the charge.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

5. Only by pardon. I can't imagine that a sitting Governor would pardon a DUI who pled guilty, but feel free to try.

6. No, there is no legal mechanism in Georgia for expunging a conviction for a DUI.

7. Unfortunately, once you have a DUI conviction on your record, it can not be expunged unless you can get the prosecutor and judge to agree to reverse the conviction and enter a guilty plea to another lesser charge.

8. Short answer is - NO. Unless the law in Georgia is changed, you cannot expunge a DUI CONVICTION. If you do receive a Pardon for the crime that still should not remove the original crime from your Georgia Criminal History. The best way to keep a DUI off of your criminal history is to FIGHT the case from the very beginning! Retain the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you and Fight the charge! As you are finding out, once you are convicted the DUI will remain on your criminal history for the rest of your life. I know this isn't the answer that you were looking for, but I believe it is accurate under the current Georgia law.
    George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

DUI topics