Skip to main content

Is there anything that can be done to stop deportation with an aggravated felony for a Permanent Resident?

El Centro, CA |

Served 3 yrs in Prison and now being detained by INS. Been in the states for over 30 years, no family in home country and two citizen children here. Would it be beneficial to file a Habeas Corpus?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. It would be very important to have an immigration attorney review the criminal conviction documents to determine whether the criminal conviction is actually an aggravated felony under the immigration law. The definition of aggravated felony for immigration purposes is complicated, not all felonies fall under this category. Also, more information would be needed regarding the individual's personal circumstances to adequately answer your question. Filing a petition for habeas corpus would not be beneficial unless the individual was being unlawfully detained.

  2. There is not enough information here. What did he serve 3 years in prison for what crime? When was he convicted? Did he plea guilty? What country is he from?

    We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at

  3. More information is needed. Speak to an experienced immigration attorney near you. Habeas corpus might be relevant in certain specific situations, but again, there is not enough information here.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  4. It doesn't sound good.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  5. Yes, 212h Waiver allows for this in some circumstances, depending how he became an LPR

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  6. I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Violent crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics