Is there anything I can do to stop my contract after buying a car? They wont give me a copy of my contract, lied and cheated.

Asked about 1 year ago - Novi, MI

I financed a car for the 1st time. The car is a 2004 pacifica for $6999. The sales guy stated they will give me $4500 for my 2007 dodge grand caravan. I stated I would need my payment a $100 a month. He said after negotiating with the bank the payments will be$150 a month. I agreed to that. He said for the bank to accept that he has to lower the trade in and the cost of the car but only for the paperwork. everything will still work out at the end. I received my 1st car note, it says I owe $5100 payoff instead of $2500. I called the guy and he says he stated he doesn't recall that conversation. I told him I will take legal action. He called me back and offered to me me $500 and new tires if we can settle it between us. I don't want to settle it for that. Is there anything I can legally do?

He gave me all my paperwork in a folder except my contract. I am going there to ask for it. Also one of the papers I signed was a arbitrator agreement. Do I still have the right to an attorney? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

1

Answered . You can still use an attorney and does the contract state that the winning party is entitled to attorneys fees? Send him a demand to follow the agreement and complain to the State of Michigan depart of consumer affairs, he may have done this before. If he has, consult an attorney.

2. Gregory L Abbott

Answered . I would also make a complaint to whoever licenses car dealerships in Michigan - here in Oregon it is our DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). Not providing a contract and lying to customers likely violates the rules governing the dealer's license and the licensing authority is the one who has real teeth to go after them if they want. It doesn't substitute for getting your own attorney and participating in arbitration but does help add to the pressure on them to make things right.