Is there anything I can do to stop my contract after buying a car? They wont give me a copy of my contract, lied and cheated.

Novi, MI |

I financed a car for the 1st time. The car is a 2004 pacifica for $6999. The sales guy stated they will give me $4500 for my 2007 dodge grand caravan. I stated I would need my payment a $100 a month. He said after negotiating with the bank the payments will be$150 a month. I agreed to that. He said for the bank to accept that he has to lower the trade in and the cost of the car but only for the paperwork. everything will still work out at the end. I received my 1st car note, it says I owe $5100 payoff instead of $2500. I called the guy and he says he stated he doesn't recall that conversation. I told him I will take legal action. He called me back and offered to me me $500 and new tires if we can settle it between us. I don't want to settle it for that. Is there anything I can legally do?

He gave me all my paperwork in a folder except my contract. I am going there to ask for it. Also one of the papers I signed was a arbitrator agreement. Do I still have the right to an attorney? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You can still use an attorney and does the contract state that the winning party is entitled to attorneys fees? Send him a demand to follow the agreement and complain to the State of Michigan depart of consumer affairs, he may have done this before. If he has, consult an attorney.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Thank you! I just read a lot of reviews that he has done this many times. I finally received a copy of my contract and now I realize what he did. The 3rd page of the contract is the page that I needed to sign in which I did because he told me it was to sign that I was trading in my van and getting a title for my new car. He did not show me the other 2 pages that had the cost of the car and the trade in amount for my van. If I would have seen those pages I would have never have signed the papers. That was very sneaky of him! When I told him I know what he did and that was wrong he stated to me that I already signed the contract and I have to follow it! There is only two employees that work there and they both refused to give me the phone number of the owner or someone above them..

I would also make a complaint to whoever licenses car dealerships in Michigan - here in Oregon it is our DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). Not providing a contract and lying to customers likely violates the rules governing the dealer's license and the licensing authority is the one who has real teeth to go after them if they want. It doesn't substitute for getting your own attorney and participating in arbitration but does help add to the pressure on them to make things right.

Nothing contained herein should be considered as legal advice for any specific situation and nothing herein is intended to create a lawyer-client relationship. Every case is very "fact-specific" and persons wishing legal advice on a specific matter should contact me or another attorney for an appointment to review their particular circumstances and to create a lawyer-client relationship. Gregory L. Abbott, Attorney at Law, 6635 North Baltimore, Suite 254, Portland, Oregon 97203. Tel: 503-283-4568; Fax: 503-283-4586; Email: Specializing in Consumer and Small Business Law.

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law