Is there anything I can do about my ex she moved out of state, I was going to file an emergency motion but she moved early

Asked about 2 years ago - Newark, NJ

My ex wont give me the address to where my kids are, I was on my way to file an emergency motion to find out shed moved almost a month earlier than she said she was. So I didnt file the motion I need to know what I can do even if i file a motion i dont know where she lives to mail it to her ive asked repeatedly for the address all she says is mail it to her mothers if i mail it there will the courts accept that as me trying to notify her?? I dont know what i can do now

1. Kenneth A White

Pro

3

1

Answered . This is a very sensitive and complicated matter. You should meet with an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible to discuss you options. Providing New Jersey has had jurisdiction over the children you can and should file an Order to Show Cause immediately seeking the childrens immediate return to the state, etc...

Do not hesitate as the more time that goes by less options will be available to you.

2. David Perry Davis

1

2

Answered . Assuming there's no DV, I'd file a motion (or, better yet, an order to show cause - request for emergency order), served on her last known address, asking for a change in custody until she appears in court and answers for her violation of your right to know where the children are. Also could ask the judge to order probation to stop dispersing child support (they'll still collect it, but it'll be held - she won't get it) until she appears in court.

You'd do better with counsel, but if that's not possible, go to the courthouse and talk to the people in case management - they should have forms for you to fill out.

3. Benjamin G Kelsen

Pro

1

1

Answered . You have every right to know where you kids are living at all times. You should retain an attorney as soon as possible to make sure that you are kept "in the loop" and able to see your kids.