Skip to main content

Is there anything I can do about defaulted student loan?

Knoxville, TN |

Essentially, I went to a university in 2009. Halfway through, I was hospitalized for mini-strokes and did not return to school (everything was very fuzzy for 2 years after). I did not withdraw properly (did not know what I was doing), so they charged me for the full semester.

The debt was sent to collections in 2012 (university never even contacted me). The 1st time I talked to them, I asked for validation. They did not send it, however they DID claim I validated the debt over the phone (certainly did not). They never sent validation, and in 2013 another collector sued me saying that interest had been accruing all along.

They say I defaulted on the loan, the university stonewalled me ("talk to lawyer"), and I can't get an answer why financial aid wasn't there. I'm broke with no credit...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need to hire a debtor rights / bankruptcy attorney in your area and then file to have the loan discharged (an extra step in bankruptcy as typically student loans are not dischargeable). Good luck

Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Again,should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer