Is there anything I can do about defaulted student loan?

Asked 7 months ago - Knoxville, TN

Essentially, I went to a university in 2009. Halfway through, I was hospitalized for mini-strokes and did not return to school (everything was very fuzzy for 2 years after). I did not withdraw properly (did not know what I was doing), so they charged me for the full semester.

The debt was sent to collections in 2012 (university never even contacted me). The 1st time I talked to them, I asked for validation. They did not send it, however they DID claim I validated the debt over the phone (certainly did not). They never sent validation, and in 2013 another collector sued me saying that interest had been accruing all along.

They say I defaulted on the loan, the university stonewalled me ("talk to lawyer"), and I can't get an answer why financial aid wasn't there. I'm broke with no credit...

1. Todd Bruce Kotler

Answered . You need to hire a debtor rights / bankruptcy attorney in your area and then file to have the loan discharged (an extra step in bankruptcy as typically student loans are not dischargeable). Good luck