Is there anything I can do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

I had a root canal performed in 9/2012 the dentist office advised me my insurance would cover 80% and I would have to pay the balance. As such, I paid the balance that day and never heard another word from them. I pulled my credit report and have a collection account for over $1000.00 for the balance due. I called my insurance company and they said I had probationary period which was not complete and they would not cover. They informed me it is policy that the dental office must call and confirm coverage for procedures such as this. Since the office didn't follow protocol and told me I was covered can I fight this balance? I would have waited on the procedure if I had known.

Pro

4

Answered . See if you can resolve it with the office

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

5

Answered . You may attempt to negotiate, but, the policy approach is a sound one and is rather a routine one I might add.

3. David Ian Schoen

Pro

4

Answered . You can certainly make that argument to them. Maybe they will take less under the circumstances.

4. Tanya Marie Bachand

4

Answered . I wonder why the dentist office didn't contact you, but rather sent it directly to a collection agency, which then put it on your credit report without any attempt to contact you. Seems odd.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Jonathan David Marx

2

Answered . This is a terrible predicament, as suggested by my colleagues i would attempt to work out a lesser payment with the office directly, best of luck.

6. Anthony J. Baratta

Pro

Answered . The procedure was performed so you owe payment for those services. The oral surgeon wants to be paid and is likely to accept less than 100% if you approach him in a reasonable fashion and not suggesting in the conversation that the surgeon is responsible. The surgeon may also be willing to accept a payment plan. Make sure to put the agreement in writing and make the surgeon promise to take the necessary steps to remove the debt from your credit report upon the signing of the agreement.