Is there anything else i need to do when i am filing for a poor person order to divorce my husband?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I am very poor and i can barely pay my rent, but i want my non-supportive husband out of my life. I am undocumented and so is my husband. Will this effect my divorce? I understand where the poor person order form is and the instructions, and i see that i can mail that form in but is there anything else i need to do to finalize the divorce?

1. Susan Kathleen Duke

Pro

1

Answered . There is a lot more you need to do to finalize a divorce beyond filing the poor person form. Either get the uncontested divorce forms from your local court clerk's office or download them online from the state court website.

2. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

1

Answered . The poor person form is only so that you can get the court fees waived. There are many other documents that need to be completed and filed. You should pick up a set of forms with instructions from the supreme court clerks office in your county.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.
  3. Leta Liou

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation. You can file for a poor person order to have the filing fees waived on your case. Do keep in mind that there are many documents that still need to be completed correctly and filed with the Court. Any attorney can assist you in this process--and not all attorneys are unaffordable.

Feel free to call me for a free telephone consultation, even if it's just to answer a couple of your questions about representing yourself. (646) 587-0188

Sincerely,
    Leta Liou, Esq.
    The Law Firm of Liou % Maisonet, PLLC
    124 Nassau Street, Suite 2
    New York, New York 10038
    (646) 587-0188