Is there anything a parent can do about a teacher grading unfairly? My son's teacher dislikes him and is a bully!

Plymouth, IN |
Filed under: Education law

The work being graded is subjective writing assignments. No true rhyme or reason as to why the papers are graded the way they are.

You can always take the issue up the internal ladder of the school's administration. It may be that the school officials themselves have doubts about the skills or judgment of this teacher, and it may be that your issue and complaint will receive an open-minded hearing.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

I don't see any facts regarding bullying and nothing you state is actionable under the law. Writing assignments are usually subjective and therefore, the grading is subjective depending on what the teacher likes. It's not illegal. You can go through the internal grievance procedures of the school. If this is a public school and he's a member of the teacher's union, he's not going anywhere.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Education law topics