Skip to main content

Is there anyone who would finish my case for flat fee?

Riverhead, NY |

My husband filed for a divorce 1 year ago .we lived together 5 years and 3 years lived separately without an agreement and he is in debts now.However his attorney tries to make money on the divorce requesting me to go to his doctors for my autoimmune decease evaluation.I am almost out of my savings
and ask my attorney to settle the divorce without any spousal support.He wouldn't agree to do so.
It is my second attorney who says he can't do it.
Can any one tell me how to bring my divorce to the end?Does anyone know if I need to do anything in Federal court?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    Your attorneys do not want to settle if you have a severe illness which appears you may have unless you get significant support if it is available. Your going for the medical examination should cost you nothing, as your spouse has to pay for it. Federal Court has no jurisdiction here, so forget that. If you cannot afford counsel, and cannot get interim attorney fees, try Legal Aid or the local bar association for help.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  2. It's possible. But you can't do it in Federal Court. But there must be a reason that your attorneys haven't wanted to settle without spousal support.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

  3. There's nothing for you to do in Federal Court. You will undoubtedly be able to find someone to finish your case for a flat fee, if you're willing to pay what the market demands. Call around and schedule a few consultations. Most attorneys, myself included, will offer a free consultation.

    I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

  4. Use avvo's tool "find a lawyer" and call a few lawyers to see what they charge,

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

  5. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find an inexpensive lawyer in your city. Good luck.

  6. Federal Court does not handle this type of matter. It is impossible to evaluate your case in this limited forum with limited facts. If your attorney do not want to settle the case without spousal support there is surely a reason. You can always fire your attorney. Be aware that if your spouse does not want to settle your only alternative is to go to trial.

    The above is a general answer and is not considered legal advice. You should contact an attorney before proceeding to take any legal action, signing any papers or upon service of a summons. Howard E. Knispel 631-864-7589

  7. Use Avvo's Find a Lawyer tool to find out

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics