Is there any way to stop a mugshot removal service/website from reinserting information after removal was paid for?

Asked over 1 year ago - Addison, IL

I paid for the removal of a relative's information from one of those mugshot websites. It was removed, then shortly inserted on another website which I know is run by the same people (both websites and the "removal service" are all connected). They now want twice as much money to remove the same information. Do I have any legal recourse to stop this continued "legal extortion"?

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

1

Answered . That's outrageous! I think you have a breach of contract claim and likely a fraud claim. There are lawyers fighting these mugshots websites and they would love to have your fax situation to put before a court to prove the malicious intent of these websites. Get an attorney and go for it! That's outrageous! Of course we need to realize that many of these mugshots websites are based in remote jurisdictions so that they can avoid legal liability, so you may have no one at all to sue for this that you can collect from. Be sure you have a chance of recovery that exceeds the cost of the suit before you file a lawsuit and go to a lot of expense.

2. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

1

1

Answered . I, too, am outraged at this process and agree with Bruce.

I suggest you write the second website and tell them you are going to complain to the FTC if they do not take it down. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizar...

3. Jake Kathleen Marcus

1

Answered . In addition to the answers of my colleagues, I strongly suggest having the original contract for the service for which you paid reviewed by counsel.