Skip to main content

Is there any way to remove a "founded" CPS case from your record in Washington State?

Tacoma, WA |

About ten years ago I went through a custody battle with my ex-husband. Long story short I ended up with a CPS case in regards to our son. I never lost custody of the kids or had any dependency hearings or CPS court proceedings . I did have a criminal case that ex-husband pursued where I was found not guilty. At the time of the investigation, I was going through the custody battle and criminal case and did not respond to the CPS petition on the founded case. I was also in nursing school full time. By the time I had been able to understand and address the civil portion of it the deadline to petition passed. I have run into issues behind child abuse background checks but not normal background checks. At the end of my BSN program that is running a check. What can I do to remove?

Attorney Answers 2


Difficult to answer. You're dealing with Administrative law meaning that you will have to deal wit the licensing and CPS. Given the amount of time that has passed, you may have a lot of difficult. You need to consult with an attorney who is familiar with the ins and outs of both CPS and nursing licensing.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Bruce is correct. There is always a good cause possibility with CPS to get them to open the case and allow you an administrative hearing.

Mark as helpful

Child abuse topics

Recommended articles about Child abuse

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics