Is there any way to leave without oweing rent if you haven't given a 30 day notice?

Citrus Heights, CA |

my lease is up march 31 and i want to move. I did not get notice that my rent would increase until march 27. My rent will not increase for a month, but i still would like to leave now and get settled in a new place. My landlord will not allow me to move without first putting in my 30-day notice. Is there any way i can leave without oweing the rent? ive considered telling her i have a pet and hoping that she will give me a 3-day notice, but i am unsure of all of the consequences of doing so.

No, not without the landlord agreeing to waive the 30 day notice requirement.

You do not want the landlord to give you a 3 day notice to perform covenant or quit, or a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit. Doing so does not solve your "problem" of moving out early without owing rent for the next 30 days.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant