Is there any way to keep illegal immigrants from being deported?

Asked over 1 year ago - Clearfield, UT

My underage friend was arrested for selling weed and he is an illegal immigrant.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Selling weed is a criminal offense and therefore violates the immigration laws. Your friend will most likely be deported. The best way to keep illegal immigrants from being deported is to have the illegal immigrant stop breaking the criminal laws.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more
  2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. Selling drugs is a crime involving moral turpitude. It is very possible that there will be an immigration hold after his sentencing. Since he is undocumented there's no relief to which he is entitled.

  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . It could be considered drug trafficking and a bar to obtaining LPR status in the future. That said, there is a case pending in the U.S. Supreme Court that may impact the trafficking definition in regards to social sharing. Your friend needs to get a lawyer now who understands the interplay between criminal and immigration matters.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,227 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,227 answers this week

2,805 attorneys answering