Is there any way to hold an unauthorized driver of a rental car accountable for damages to a vehicle that they caused?

Asked about 1 year ago - Alexandria, VA

I rented a car and let an unauthorized, unlicensed, and uninsured driver use the vehicle. While he was driving he was pursued by the police and crashed the vehicle into another car. Due to the fact that I am the authorized renter, I am liable for the damages and will be responsible for payment/fees etc. I have not filed a claim with my insurance company because I don't think they will cover it due to the fact that I was not driving the vehicle. Although I gave permission to this person to drive the car at one point, I asked for the car to be returned to me several times and they refused to do so. Is there anyway they can be held accountable for the damages to the car? Should I even bother filing a claim with my insurance?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

Answered . You may end up having to sue the driver, doubt your insurer will cover you.

Pro

3

Answered . Report it to your insurance company to sort out

3. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

2

Answered . I would be very surprised if your carrier will cover this but you can try to collect from the driver that caused the damages.