Is there any way to hold an unauthorized driver of a rental car accountable for damages to a vehicle that they caused?

Alexandria, VA |

I rented a car and let an unauthorized, unlicensed, and uninsured driver use the vehicle. While he was driving he was pursued by the police and crashed the vehicle into another car. Due to the fact that I am the authorized renter, I am liable for the damages and will be responsible for payment/fees etc. I have not filed a claim with my insurance company because I don't think they will cover it due to the fact that I was not driving the vehicle. Although I gave permission to this person to drive the car at one point, I asked for the car to be returned to me several times and they refused to do so. Is there anyway they can be held accountable for the damages to the car? Should I even bother filing a claim with my insurance?

1. I would be very surprised if your carrier will cover this but you can try to collect from the driver that caused the damages.

2. You may end up having to sue the driver, doubt your insurer will cover you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.