Is there any way to hold an employer to a verbal agreement?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Dawsonville, GA

Last fall I was required to attend a mandatory meeting that took place over an hour away. My colleagues and I were promised to be reimbursed the gas money used which was around $50 per person. Since then the managers of the stores have been reimbursed but the sale associates see no reimbursement in sight. I have been told by my manager that she doubts we will ever be paid. Is there anything I can do to get the money back from a Corporation or the District manager who promised?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jason Austin Joseph Lundberg


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You may be reimbursed by an oral contract. Oral contracts are enforceable. Are there enough employees who were also witnesses? If so, the group should request payment together. There is power in numbers, evidence wise that is.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by an attorney licensed to practice in the state of California. The communication is intended for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,335 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,335 answers this week

2,904 attorneys answering