Is there any way to get the waiver of the immigration filing fees for adjusting status?

Asked 8 months ago - Saint Augustine, FL

I have been out of status since more than 3 years and married to a US citizen. Due to my inability to find a job, I can't afford to pay for the 1,500$ or so government fees for filing and adjusting the status. Is there any way I can request for the waiver?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . You can request it, but based on practical experience, it is highly doubtful USCIS will agree to grant you the fee waiver. USCIS abhors approving those waivers. Period. If they end up approving you, please let us know.

2. Kristin D Figueroa-Contreras

4

Answered . I'm sorry. There is no fee waiver presently available for the I-485 Adjustment of Status application.

3. Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

3

Answered . I agree with my colleagues . Not really.

4. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

1

Answered . The rule is that you are not eligible for a fee waiver when filing an application or petition that requires a showing that you have a sponsor whose income meets the required guidelines.

5. Nicolas Andres Olano

Pro

Answered . Yes you may file a need based waiver.

6. Arthur Spiegel

Answered . You can request a waiver. There is a form to be submitted to request the waiver, but do not count on it being granted. This system is fee supported. The USCIS does not grant fee waivers very often.

I am not your lawyer and this should not be considered the giving of legal advice.
  7. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . USCIS AOS is a fee driven process and to my knowledge it is not possible to waive these particular fees.