Is there any way to get my charges dropped?

Surprise, AZ |

I am 18 years old and 5 months ago i have been caught with weed and paraphernalia (blunt wraps filled with marijuana) in high school i found out yesterday that they were pressing charges i have never smoked weed since and i cant afford a lawyer is there anyway that i can get the charges dismissed?

How did you find out "they were pressing charges?" From the school directly, or did you receive something in the mail?

If you are lucky, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office may offer you the chance at pre-indictment diversion (also known as TASC, which stands for Treatment Assessment Screening Center). TASC would require you to drop clean UA's over a period of time, after which, the case would be dismissed. Who gets a shot at this is 100% up to the County Attorney's Office, so watch your mailbox.

If you DON'T get a pre-indictment TASC offer, you will most likely receive a Summons, sent certified mail, compelling you to appear before the Maricopa County Superior Court to face the felony charges of Possession of Marijuana and Paraphernalia. The good news is that you will most likely receive a TASC offer at this stage as well, provided you don't have a previous criminal history.

Lastly, you could be charged with misdemeanor Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, if there wasn't a "useable" amount of marijuana present. If that's the case, you will again receive a Summons, but it will be to either a Municipal/City Court or a Justice Court. TASC will most likely NOT be available, but, depending on the Court, there may be other diversion-type options for you that ultimately won't leave you with a conviction.

If you are in Superior Court and you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you by the Court, free of charge. If you are in Municipal/Justice Court and the State is NOT seeking jail or probation, you will be completely on your own.

my dad randomly searched the az supreme court for my name and we were shocked that we saw two charges i still did not receive anything in the mail. And with the paraphernalia charge i sadly had around 4 blunts filled with marijuana

Cary L Lackey

Cary L Lackey

That means that you have an ACTIVE case. Have there been court dates that you've missed? At this point you SERIOUSLY need to think about hiring a private attorney to guide you through this. A public defender won't be appointed until WELL after you are arrested. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

I have not missed any court dates i have to show up 6/12/2014 according to superior court docket website there is no warrant out for my arrest and it seems like i have received a summons i also have found my case number CR2014-000263-001. also probably how much would it cost to hire a private attorney for this matter?

Cary L Lackey

Cary L Lackey

Please contact me directly through my website (the links are at the bottom of my answer) or call me at 602-288-2303

You can ask that the court appoint an attorney but if you are not looking at jail time, one will not be appointed. You should plead not guilty at the first hearing and see if the prosecutor will offer you diversion or let you plead to possession of paraphernalia.

This answer is intended to only provide general information and does not establish an attorney- client relationship. The information is not guaranteed as sound legal advice since most questions are very limited in nature. You may wish to consult with an attorney regarding your specific case.