Is there any way to get child support arrears case closed due to being on SSI?

Milwaukee, WI |

I have two adult children that I owe back child support for. When I was working, I was paying the arrears order. I have recently been approved for SSI but denied for SSDI. Since SSI is considered a "government assistance program", child support enforcement said that they would close my case since they can't force me to pay since I can't work and they cannot take it out of SSI like they could if I got approved for SSDI. So is there a way that I can get a judge to terminate my arrears order since I have no ability to pay? Obviously I would still owe the money, but I have no way to make a monthly arrears payment.

And I have no hope of ever gaining any other employment or extra income in my lifetime. So can I ask for the case to be dismissed?

1. having SSI as your sole source of income is a basis for child support services to close its files on you and to cease enforcement efforts as it meets the federal closure standards. That is very different from asking a judicial officer to terminate the past due obligation since your current or future ability to satisfy that obligation rarely has any legal impact on the matter. I doubt any such application to the court would be successful and it may well be prohibited by law.

This information is provided for general educational purposes only including answers posted to questions asked. It is not intended to be relied on as legal advice. Your particular facts and circumstances must be considered to determine appropriate legal advice. Always consult with a competent attorney, licensed in your state, to discuss your particular situation. The material contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and the responding Attorney. The information in this answer is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. It should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice. You should not act or elect not to act based upon this information without seeking professional counsel.

Child support topics