Skip to main content

Is there any way to get an ER "residency" status in the state of Alabama to be able to have jurisdiction over a divorce?

Montgomery, AL |

Thank you for reading.
I've posted more about my situation here:

I know you need a year of abandonment to qualify for that fault in an AL divorce; but there are a myriad of other reasons such as (documented) abuse.
I need to file SOMETHING, anything to legally separate us even though I've only lived here for two months and AL requires 6 months; FL, my prior residence, does not recognize legal separation.
The reason I need this is because I need some kind of financial support order from the father for our two kids. I pay for everything, keep receipts, etc. I also need some kind of documented child care plan.
Any thoughts and advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Attorney Answers 1


No. There is no way around the residency requirement, as that is set by statute and seeks to somewhat prevent people from moving to one jurisdiction just for the purpose of obtaining a divorce within said jurisdiction, among other reasons.

Please be aware that this is not legal advice, but merely, an answer to guide you in the proper direction. I would need to have a consultation with you and be apprised of all facts before I could give legal advice that could be relied upon. Additionally, no attorney-client privilege has been established. In accordance with AL Rules of Professional Responsibility: "“No representation is made that the quality of the legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers.”

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics