Skip to main content

Is there any way to avoid deportation once there is an ICE hold on an inmate?

Portland, OR |

In 2007 my husband was arrested for a DUI, deported and then came back. After coming back, illegally, he never finished any of the DUI things he had to do so a warrant was issued. I was informed by the jail that once he completes his stuff in jail, he will be released to ICE for a deportation hearing. We have a young daughter and I am disabled, we depend on him for everything, financially, emotionally etc. We are not legally married though. I am really scared as to what is going to happen. I really don't want to have to go live in Mexico, but I also don't want him to risk crossing the border again either. Can we prevent his deportation based on hardship?

Sorry, the Original DUI was in 2007, he was pulled over 10/11/13 because a passenger was not wearing his seatbelt and they ran his name, the warrant came up and they arrested him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Maybe. talk to an immigration attorney in person.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


You may want to check with ICE or seek clarification from the jail if they can provide any additional clarification on what will happen when the jail time is complete. You reference a "deportation hearing." When someone has been removed and re-enters the United States without being inspected, ICE has the option to reinstate the old removal order. In those circumstances, no hearing or only a very cursory hearing may be provided before his removal. Working on this now before the he is transferred to the ICE detainer will help this not be a surprise later on. Of course an attorney located in your area can provide help in figuring out what will happen, and your options, if any.


That can only be determined by talking with an immigration attorney in your area in person.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.


Based on these facts it appears that you "husband" is permanently inadmissible since he returned to the U.S. illegally after being deported. In this case, a hearing before an Immigration is unnecessary. ICE can reinstate the previous order and immediate deport him. Alternatively, he can also be prosecuted for re-entering the country unlawfully after deportation which is a felony.

Nonetheless, depending the facts of the case it may be possible to obtain deferred action or a stay or removal for your husband. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of the case and advise you how best to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Review Mr. Devore's Avvo Profile for more information about his expertise in immigration law and how to contact him to discuss your case.


I highly recommend you consult with a qualified immigration attorney as soon as possible. Your husband's case is very serious. It may be that there is nothing an immigration lawyer can do to prevent his deportation, since he has a previous deportation order. But, you cannot know that for sure until you sit down with an immigration lawyer and present ALL the facts. You may even want to get a couple different opinions. To find a qualified immigration lawyer in your area, go to Best of luck!

My response to your question is for informational purposes only, and is not legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer