Is there any way my ex wife could get probation for these charges? Would any DA in his right mind offer a plea of probation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

The charges are 1. MAN DEL CS PG 1 >=400G 481.112(f) First Degree Felony 2. ENGAGE IN ORGANIZED CRIMINAL ACTIVITY 71.02(a) First Degree Felony 3. BURGLARY HABITATION INTEND OTHER FELONY 30.02(d) First Degree Felony 4. POSS TRANSPORT CHEMICAL W/INT MAN CS PG 1/1A

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Leonard C. Morales

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Ms. Jaggers. The charges and their number make it sound bad but I would need to see the underlying facts. There's allot that goes into the plea negotiation process and more that goes into the trial/punishment of offenses. Bottom line, I've had cases that look like this to start but end up with probation on a misdemeanor possession. On the other hand, I've had clients go away for a long time. Its hard to say for sure.

  2. Tracy Mcneill Pullan

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is not likely your Ex will be offered probation. Is it impossible? Not based on the limited information you gave.

    My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not... more
  3. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. It would be hard but not impossible. Her criminal history (or lack thereof) will be a factor. If she needs drug treatment, she may be given a chance at probation with treatment instead. I have seen bigger miracles pulled off.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  4. Ryan Joseph Mitchell

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As a former prosectuor with the Harris County District Attorney Office I handled these cases on a daily basis. I have experience with these cases and can tell you that they depend on the factss. It will be impossible to asnwer this case on this forum and with the facts that you have provided. She will need to retain counsel with experience and someone who will be up front with her about the consequences. There would have to be something wrong with the case itself or some extreme circumstance that would influence the District Attorney's Office to recommend a deferred. You need to have her act quickly because the first defense you begin in the grand jury and that happens within the first 90 days of the case. Most defense attorneys, including myself, generally offer free consultations so tell her to start looking.

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal advice has not been given. Also,... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,050 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,050 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering