Is there any way my ex wife could get probation for these charges? Would any DA in his right mind offer a plea of probation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

The charges are 1. MAN DEL CS PG 1 >=400G 481.112(f) First Degree Felony 2. ENGAGE IN ORGANIZED CRIMINAL ACTIVITY 71.02(a) First Degree Felony 3. BURGLARY HABITATION INTEND OTHER FELONY 30.02(d) First Degree Felony 4. POSS TRANSPORT CHEMICAL W/INT MAN CS PG 1/1A

1. Leonard C. Morales

3

Answered . I agree with Ms. Jaggers. The charges and their number make it sound bad but I would need to see the underlying facts. There's allot that goes into the plea negotiation process and more that goes into the trial/punishment of offenses. Bottom line, I've had cases that look like this to start but end up with probation on a misdemeanor possession. On the other hand, I've had clients go away for a long time. Its hard to say for sure.

2. Tracy Mcneill Pullan

2

Answered . It is not likely your Ex will be offered probation. Is it impossible? Not based on the limited information you gave.

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

2

Answered . Yes. It would be hard but not impossible. Her criminal history (or lack thereof) will be a factor. If she needs drug treatment, she may be given a chance at probation with treatment instead. I have seen bigger miracles pulled off.

4. Ryan Joseph Mitchell

1

Answered . As a former prosectuor with the Harris County District Attorney Office I handled these cases on a daily basis. I have experience with these cases and can tell you that they depend on the factss. It will be impossible to asnwer this case on this forum and with the facts that you have provided. She will need to retain counsel with experience and someone who will be up front with her about the consequences. There would have to be something wrong with the case itself or some extreme circumstance that would influence the District Attorney's Office to recommend a deferred. You need to have her act quickly because the first defense you begin in the grand jury and that happens within the first 90 days of the case. Most defense attorneys, including myself, generally offer free consultations so tell her to start looking.