Skip to main content

Is there any way I could get my money back?

Woodbury, NY |

My orthodontist recently filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy on a short notice and I paid by credit card for the treatment in full ($3500). He refered me to another orthodontist, who is going to charge me again to finish the treatment. However, this new orthodontist is currently using my orthodontist's office. Is there any way I can find out if there was a purchase deal or whether he actually did declare bankrupty? And of course, is there any way I can get at least a portion of my money back if he did file bankruptcy.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You are very fortunate because you paid by credit card. You should immediately contact your credit card company and dispute the charge. You should be able to reverse some or all of it because you paid for services that you did not recieve.

If the dentist filed for bankruptcy and listed you as a creditor, you should have received an official "notice of commencement" from the bankruptcy court.

The bankruptcy court appoints a Chapter 7 trustee to review his case and examine him. If he did have some kind of buy-sell arrangement with another dentist, the trustee will certainly investigate that.

For more information about bankruptcy, please see the hundreds of articles on my bankruptcy blog by clicking this link:


I agree with the other answer that you should try to cancel the charge with the credit card company. You can also call the bankruptcy clerk of court and ask them if the orthodontist (or his office) have filed bankruptcy. If he/it has, find out who is the trustee and ask them if there is going to be any money available to creditors. If there is, you can file a proof of claim and get at least something back. Good luck!.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer