Skip to main content

Is there any way i can become legal if i came to this country as a child of six years?

Paterson, NJ |
Filed under: Immigration

i want to know if there is anything i can do to better my legal status after being in this country for eleven years and graduating high school.

Well i am currently 18 and i was separated from my mother when i came here from mexico and she stayed. I never spoke to her again and i learned almost two years ago she passed away when i was 10. I no longer live with my father and have no contact with him. i live on my own and i know that my father never did anything for neither his nor my legal status. Any help is appreciated and feel free to ask questions. Thank you.

Attorney Answers 2


Many more details are needed. Are you parents here and if yes, are they in legal status? Do you have any children who are U.S. Citizens? Are you married? Which country are you from? Did your family apply for (or had a petition filed on their behalf) prior to April 30, 2001?

You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney and have knowledge about your entire immigration history and that of your family when you go to the appointment. There may be options, but a much more detailed discussion is needed in your case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


For additional information, please see:

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics