Is there any way I can become a notary public in the commonwealth of virginia if I have a misdemeanor on my record?

Fredericksburg, VA |

I was at an amusement park and one of my son's friends grabbed the wrong bag out of one of the cubby holes where other people stored their belongings while riding one of the rides. I grabbed the bag, was walking out of the park when suddenly I was arrested for grand larceny because the bag contained an ipod which was an innocent mistake. I was still charged, though, but it was changed to petite larceny. I want to know if I can get it expunged or what I can do because I want to work as a court reporter again, which I've done for 12 years in the past.

It's possible. It's unclear whether that charge will completely bar, you but it can be used to deny your application. Check out the site:

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

No, you may not get the conviction expunged. Criminal convictions are permanent in Virginia. As far as becoming a notary, the only disqualification would be a felony conviction, not a misdemeanor, even a misdemeanor of moral turpitude (which a larceny is). As for whether you may become a court reporter, that's something I know nothing about.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.