Is there any way I can become a notary public in the commonwealth of virginia if I have a misdemeanor on my record?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fredericksburg, VA

I was at an amusement park and one of my son's friends grabbed the wrong bag out of one of the cubby holes where other people stored their belongings while riding one of the rides. I grabbed the bag, was walking out of the park when suddenly I was arrested for grand larceny because the bag contained an ipod which was an innocent mistake. I was still charged, though, but it was changed to petite larceny. I want to know if I can get it expunged or what I can do because I want to work as a court reporter again, which I've done for 12 years in the past.

1. James Donald Garrett

1

Answered . No, you may not get the conviction expunged. Criminal convictions are permanent in Virginia. As far as becoming a notary, the only disqualification would be a felony conviction, not a misdemeanor, even a misdemeanor of moral turpitude (which a larceny is). As for whether you may become a court reporter, that's something I know nothing about.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

1

Answered . It's possible. It's unclear whether that charge will completely bar, you but it can be used to deny your application. Check out the site:
    http://www.commonwealth.virginia.gov/notary/eNo...