Is there any statute of limitations on Absconding?

Chesapeake, VA |

I was on Felony Probation in Michigan, all the terms of the Probation was met, except for the paying of fines. There was no work in Michigan, so I left the state to seek work. Michigan Absconded me, and refuses to accept my payment for the fines. The probation would have been final in 2006.

1. This issue would be determined by the applicable laws of
    Michigan rather than those of Virginia.

M.E. Hendrickson, Esq.
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314

2. One of the Michigan statutes is
    Mich. Comp. Laws 750.750.199a Absconding or forfeiting bond in criminal or paternity proceedings; felony. It is copied here. I could not find the statute of limitations for Michigan felonies. Sorry. Here is what I do have.

Sec. 199a.

Any person who shall abscond on or forfeit a bond given in any criminal proceedings wherein a felony is charged shall be deemed guilty of a felony. Any person who shall abscond on or forfeit a recognizance or cash deposit made in lieu thereof in paternity proceedings pursuant to the provisions of Act No. 205 of the Public Acts of 1956, as amended, being sections 722.711 to 722.730 of the Compiled Laws of 1948, shall be guilty of a felony.

In Virginia, were I practice, when the offense is absconding, the statute does not begin to run until you submit to the authorities because the delay was caused by you. When you return, it might be a felony charge and a violation of probation. Good luck with this