Is there any requirement to change my B1 visa to J1?

Asked 12 months ago - Oceanside, CA

I'm now in the U.S. on a B1 visa, and the company I used to work for give me an offer to participate in a project, can I change to J1 visa to extend my status to work for them? Is there any requirement for me to change to J1? Someone said I need to have at least 5 years work experience in my home country to change to J1, which I don't have. But I cannot find any information about it. Thanks.

1. Brian David Lerner

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Hello:

First, the company offering you the training must be able to accept a J1 trainee. Assuming this is the case, you have to do a change of status prior to going out of status. Next, you should find out if the J-1 has a two year foreign residenctyrequirement,

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Only if they are part of a J-1 program and the work is indeed part of the program.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

3. Lalita Haran

Answered . Changing status to J1 is possible only at approved institutions. Ask the company i they are approved institution. If not apply for such an approval is possible and you would need someone experienced in this filed.
    Lalita Haran
    www.haranlaw.com