Is there any repercussions for someone who keeps making false accusations and getting me arrested with lies ? I need a lawyer

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My son's father and I have been in court battles for the past 5 years since I left him. Overall he was always abusive which is why I left. But after I left things got worst. He started using the system against me eventually having me loose around 2 jobs & getting me arrested twice. He ended up getting a warrant for not paying his child support and he went MIA that made things better for a little until last year when he showed up in child support court . When he showed up he told the judge he was a confidential police informant and that someone called in a favor for him. Then he got me arrested making false accusations that I had threatened to kill him. He has filed numerous petitions in family court as well for custody on the basis that I am mentally unfit . I need help.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You definitely need a lawyer since the burden that the other person is lying will be yours to carry.

  2. Morghan L Richardson


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It sounds like you could get an order of protection to try and keep him from harrassing you. However, him filing for custody is not a basis of harrassment. If he has filed enough times over small issues you may be able to ask the Court to tell him to stop. You will need a criminal lawyer for the arrest.

  3. David Ivan Bliven


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you are successful in proving the false allegations, you may be able to file a counsel fee application against him in Family Court, or sue him in civil court for abuse of process. I advise you to consult a criminal defense lawyer if the criminal charges are still pending. If you need assistance with the Family Court matter, then I highly suggest for you to call a NYC Child Custody/Support lawyer.

    * If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,618 answers this week

3,231 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,618 answers this week

3,231 attorneys answering