Is there any relief available for me or any thing i can do to start my process of adjusting my status?

Asked about 2 years ago - Sugar Land, TX

I have been in the US since 1998, came as a F-1 student and overstayed my visa. I own property and have 2 US born children, and no criminal record.My brother and i started a restaurant business back in 98 but its under my brothers name .My brother is a US citizen. I help manage the restaurant.Back then i didn't know that i could've filled through the restaurant-we were advised against it by a lawyer who stated that because we were brothers immigration would deny my application. A few employees were petitioned through the restaurant and have received their green card.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Nicklaus James Misiti

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Not unless you are married to a USC or your children are over 21 or you qualify for asylum or some other form of relief. Speak with an attorney for more information on these options.
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Not on the facts you give.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,785 answers this week

2,795 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,785 answers this week

2,795 attorneys answering