Is there any recourse against the IRS for a taxpayer whose identify was stolen by someone filing of a fradulent tax return

Asked about 2 years ago - Belton, MO

On 3/5/12 I efiled my tax return and received an email advising that I had already filed a 2011 tax return. I called the IRS the following Monday and was told that I filed a return the 1st week of Jan 2012. I told the person I spoke to that I had not filed a return at the time because I did not even have w2s available or mortgage information to file a return. I was then told to fill out paperwork for identify theft and attache my return, which I did. Every time I call I get a different story about where my return is in the process. Yesterday I was told that I made an error but have never received a letter from the IRS. I was told that it was because my address changed and I need to fill out a change of address form. Everyone I speak to is rude and condesending as if I am the liar.

1. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

Answered . Hire a tax attorney to begin to represent you. He may start by ordering a copy of the first filed return so that the position taken can be assessed for its potential damage. The sooner this is done the better chance you will have in catching up with this person and in having a chance to stop the spurrious transaction before it occurs (especially refunds to the perpetrators)