Is there any legal way for my wife to find out if i flew overseas?

New York, NY |

We are unoficially separated and I'm wondering if she can find out if I took recent trips overseas

Within the context of a divorce case, she (through her attorney) can demand copies of your passport as well as copies of your bank account statements. In that way, she can piece together what trips you've taken recently. She also has the option of deposing you & having her attorney ask you the direct question under oath. I'd advise to schedule a free consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Thank you for your response! What can she possible need my passport or its copies for?

David Ivan Bliven

David Ivan Bliven

To discover (a) hidden income/assets, and/or (b) on an allegation of marital waste. * If you found my answer to be the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

oh ok! thx a lot!

I don't believe there's any publicly-accessible national registry of airline flyers, if that's what you mean. But if your wife has access to any of your bank accounts, she could see any expenses paid for there - plane tickets, or purchases made in other countries. And, of course, she could ask people.

Furthermore, if and when you two do divorce, she'll have the right to review your financial records in the course of the case, to ensure a fair property distribution under your state's laws. (You'll have the same right against her.) It's likely to come out eventually.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

Your wife in a divorce action can see your passport and all your recent financial records including money spent on a trip.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

I agree with counsel. Further, she can set you up by asking you under oath if you traveled overseas, record your answer and then present your passport and financial records to the court to show that you perjured yourself.

Phone records, (roaming charges), social networking posts that include location, and photos with GPS tags could sometimes give this away, in addition to what the others already pointed out.

(1) I may be guessing. Do not act or rely upon this info; (2) We have not established an attorney-client relationship; and (3) If you insist I tell you something upon which you can actually rely: don't eat yellow snow.