Is there Any Legal Recourse on a pawn shop for misplacing my collateral

Asked 11 months ago - Daytona Beach, FL

this pawnshop lost on of the items placed in there care for collateral till i paid off a loan i owed for when i came to pick up my items he lost one of them and seeing as we could not come to an agreement he said he could keep the rest of my items and he did so. is there anything i can do about it?

1. Ralph H. Schofield Jr.

2

1

Answered . Yes. The pawn shop has liability to you either under a pawning agreement or under the general law regarding "bailments." In other words, the pawn shop owes you for the item (less the amount you would have needed to pay the pawn shop to redeem your item). If the pawn shop cannot provide a thing or an amount of money to your satisfaction, you potentially have a claim against the pawn shop. Your biggest problem will be determining the value of the thing pawned and showing by how much that value exceeded the amount of the loan.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

Answered . There was a contract that you signed, and we simply cannot tell you what it says without seeing it.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. Robert J Adams Jr.

Pro

1

1

Answered . Assuming you were current on the pawn shop obligation you have a right to seek the replacement value of the item pawned. As the prior attorney said you have an evidentiary problem is proving value of the item.