Is there any legal basis for the DA to prosecute someone for welfare fraud code section 10980 (c) (2) without any restitution

Asked 5 months ago - San Bernardino, CA

and without presenting any evidence defendant owes money? Meaning DA can just simple say defendant committed fraud because failed to declare income therefore file criminal charges and prosecute defendant. Please if you allege it is legal then state the law or statue of your legal basis.

Additional information

or if you allege is illegal please state the law or statute why it is illegal.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Lee Marshall

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The DA can file charges based on a good faith belief that the defendant wrongfully obtained aid in excess of $950.

    The initial charges in a criminal complaint are simply an allegation. The DA has to present proof at two stages: the preliminary hearing, where the DA must convince the judge that there is sufficient suspicion to hold a trial, and at the trial itself, where the DA has to prove the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

    If you are charged with this offense and cannot afford to hire your own attorney, the court will appoint a lawyer from the public defender's office. That attorney will have access to all of the evidence against you, and can provide a better explanation of the facts underlying the charges.

    Since your question deals with potential criminal charges, I've moved it to the Criminal Defense section.

    PLEASE READ BEFORE CONTACTING MY OFFICE: My office is located in Chico, Butte County, California. I offer... more
  2. Kelvin P. Green

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . What evidence of owing money is required?

    Note the statute says if obtained aid in excess of $950. Not anything is owed.

    The DA will provide evidence of the amount of aid. I doubt a prosecutor would file a case without some evidence... It will come out in discovery. Also note that that to convict the misdemeanor side they just have to show fraud and no amounts.

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-... more
  3. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The answer is yes. If someone improperly received welfare benefits, that is a crime. While the DA ought to allege a right of the state to restitution, his pleadings are not per se defective if this is omitted. I would think you should focus instead on the improper receipt of benefits, rather than restitution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,330 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,330 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering