Is there any law in NJ that protects the employees when a company closes without any previous notice?

Bayonne, NJ |

My company is closing and the employer has not talked to us about it, we can see the company Is getting prepared to close but the they don't say anything about it, even when we ask about this topic, they deny the company is closing, Is this legal to just close the company without any previous notice to the employee?

Although I am not a New Jersey licensed attorney, I can not imagine any law which could/would force someone to stay in business. Would you want to continue working at a company which might not be able to pay you?

but what about letting an employee know in advance about a company shut down?

I believe, if your company employees 100 or more people, then there may be some obligation on their part to provide 60 days notice if they are closing down operations. You should consult with a local attorney on this, however.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/employattorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WhiteRicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Yes, both New Jersey and federal law require employers with 100 or more full-time employees to provide at least 60 days' notice of closing. If no notice is provided, you would be entitled to at least 60 days' pay.

The information provided above is for general purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Seek competent legal representation, because the facts of each case are different.

Very difficult to find redress here. Nonetheless you may be able to recover back pay in a lawsuit. In general, employees have no per se right to their employment - they only (generally) have the right to be free from discrimination, and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

www.GardenStateLaw.Com

Business topics