Is there any law in NJ that protects the employees when a company closes without any previous notice?

Asked 8 months ago - Bayonne, NJ

My company is closing and the employer has not talked to us about it, we can see the company Is getting prepared to close but the they don't say anything about it, even when we ask about this topic, they deny the company is closing, Is this legal to just close the company without any previous notice to the employee?

1. Santos A Perez

1

1

Answered . Very difficult to find redress here. Nonetheless you may be able to recover back pay in a lawsuit. In general, employees have no per se right to their employment - they only (generally) have the right to be free from discrimination, and this doesn't seem to be the case here.

www.GardenStateLaw.Com

2. Alix R. Rubin

Answered . Yes, both New Jersey and federal law require employers with 100 or more full-time employees to provide at least 60 days' notice of closing. If no notice is provided, you would be entitled to at least 60 days' pay.

3. Thomas A. Ricotta

Pro

1

1

Answered . I believe, if your company employees 100 or more people, then there may be some obligation on their part to provide 60 days notice if they are closing down operations. You should consult with a local attorney on this, however.

4. V. Jonas Urba

Answered . Although I am not a New Jersey licensed attorney, I can not imagine any law which could/would force someone to stay in business. Would you want to continue working at a company which might not be able to pay you?