Is there any immigration benefit from University , Employment Based Visa or any other category? Im in the USA with expired visa

Asked 7 months ago - Chapel Hill, NC

Came to the US in 2003 with a VISA- Tourist and overstayed.
I was Granted DACA in 2012.
Pursuing a bachelors at at University of North Carolina.
Looking to see what options if any , are there for me Perhaps after i travel with advanced parole? Thanks a lot for your help!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Louis Felix Massard

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . For certain travel reasons, you may apply for advanced parole if you are a deferred action (DACA) recipient. I suggest you speak with an experienced immigration attorney regarding other long-term options.

    The posting above is for informational purposes only.
  2. Lisa R. Brenman


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . As my colleagues stated, it is not certain if departing the US and returning on advance parole will allow you to apply for and receive an immigration status. As you know, DACA is a deferment of removal during the period of DACA status. Because you entered the US legally, you may have a family based immigration option available if you have a qualifying relative. Congratulations on attending UNC!

    The comments made on this site by Brenman Law Firm, PLLC of Chapel Hill, North Carolina are not legal advice. This... more
  3. Robert Louis Brown


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . According to the Secretary of Homeland Security DACA does not confer status. If you travel on advance parole in theory you will be paroled back into the US in DACA classification. There maybe an argument that you may be permitted to change to another status nut that is what it is an argument.

    Attorney Robert Brown's (former INS Director, 1972-99) reply to your question is general in nature, and does not... more
  4. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. Not for you.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Employment-based green cards

An immigrant may be eligible for permanent resident status if he or she has been offered a job in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,515 answers this week

3,173 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,515 answers this week

3,173 attorneys answering