Skip to main content

Is there ANY HOPE or help with an IRA early distribution ?

Dodge City, KS |

Son received early distribution of old Retire account he didn't remember. Was going to rollover, his then wife-to-be talked him to put check in her check account for safety until could get it done. Needless to say she refused to return over $75,000 an spent it all. They never got married and He has letters stating she was going to return his money to him and even has the checks that she wrote to him & by the time the bank opened her sister (worked at bank) would have already put stop payment on the checks every time. I had found on IRS site law on IRAs & said she IS responsible for taxes and to claim as income because she had sole control and spent the money and not him. Now they upgraded their site I can no longer access the bookmark or any of the info on this matter! Is there ANY hope?

The girlfriend was the sole Owner of the checking account.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. This question was previously asked. Since your son took the distribution and put the funds into his account, the IRS will hold him responsible. Your son has a claim against his girlfriend. You need to contact a tax attorney or good CPA who can help with the IRS.

    You can also call the IRS ombudsman for assistance.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics