Is there any help in getting any money to pay or help a lawyer if he needs it in a case?

Brooklyn, NY |

my lawyer wants me to pay for some of thr court cost i find the fishy?

Assuming this is not a case where an attorney is prohibited from asking for fees by law (for example, this may be the case in a workers' compensation matter), there is nothing improper about your attorney asking for you to contribute to your case.

What type of case is it? What does your retainer agreement say?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

No. You would have to stumble upon one of those fly-by-night sliding scale law offices. There is no public or private fund to pay for litigation.

As a side note, the retainer should specify who is responsible for paying disbursements (expenses). Sometimes, if a lawyer believes the case has gone irretrievably south and surely cannot be won at trial, and there will be experts to pay, among other expenses (which cannot be recouped if the case is lost, and can run into the tens of thousands), the lawyer will strongly suggest settling. I f the client is adamant about not settling, depending upon what the retainer says, the lawyer may ask the client to throw his own money away at trial. Most PI retainers will permit this scenario.

I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.

A lawyer may, but is not compelled to advance costs and disbursements. If, for example, an attorney is bein asked to,pay/advance money for a medical expert who charges a significant fee to testify, a lawyer may ask the client for the fee or the fee can be borrowed from someone else, such as a family member, friend or a bank. Certain businesses to provide loans to litigants in ongoing cases as well. They can be reputable, but check them out carefully.