Is there any government agency like EEOC where I can complaint against retailiation termination by employe ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lakewood, WA

I was terminated by employer because I tried to make a union among employees when I was working...(which is my civil right) and I joined a class action law suit against my employer ...after my joining law suit ...they sent me a termination letter on May 24 2012.
I am not sure if I have enough eividence to prove that above were the reasons of termination but I would like know are there any Goverment agencies where I can complaint about their action? I am not sure I can prove that it was racial discrimination even though am one of the protected class.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Daniel A Swedlow

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Terminated for union organizing?!? You may have a nice little lawsuit on your hands. Call a lawyer who practices labor law (this is a little different from Employment law - related but different).
    Keep in mind that the strength of your case is going to depend on a lot of factors including your work record, your employer's stated reason for termination, timing of the organizing, the lawsuit and the termination, who else was terminated and why, what exactly your union organizing efforts were and whether or not the employer knew you were doing those activities, etc etc. Bottom line, call a lawyer. If you want to bypass a lawyer and go straight to a government agency - go to the NLRB if your employer was in the private sector and go to PERC if your employer was a public sector employer. Contact me (or whoever) if you need more info. Good luck and keep up the fight. In solidarity!

  2. Alexander J. Higgins

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I agree with my friend, Daniel, who gives you good advice. Something really important is that your statute of limitations for filing with the NLRB may expire in a few days! There is a 6-month statute of limitations from the date of your termination. Looks like that may expire November 24. Get in touch with the NLRB in Seattle asap. Here's the contact info for the NLRB:
    915 2nd Avenue
    Room 2948
    Seattle, WA 98174-1078
    Phone: (206) 220-6300
    TTY: (206) 220-6292
    Fax: (206) 220-6305
    If you can run this past a lawyer first, I would recommend that but DO NOT miss your 6-month deadline.
    -Alex J. Higgins

  3. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Rather than spend time and effort trying to determine where to take a complaint, why not sit down with skilled and experienced employment attorney who can advise you on that fact and more, such as whether you may have a sound recourse for any of several potential legal claims. Use Avvo to find a good employment attorney in your area or try

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  4. Daniel Christopher Knauth

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . From what you've described, you can make a complaint to the NLRB for retaliation for trying to organize. Since you are in a class action suit, it's not clear why you haven't discussed this with the lawyers who are representing you in the class action. It's also not clear why you've waited until November when you were fired in May -- don't waste any more time, your 6 months is almost up. Form is found here. You can find your regional office contact info here:

    Feel free to contact me if you want. Dan Knauth // 212-317-1200. Answers to questions... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,531 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,531 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering